University Benefits for Postdoctoral Scholars
Postdoctoral scholars and fellows (HR Job Codes FP01 and FP02) are eligible for a number of University benefits and services. Questions regarding access to your University benefits should be directed to the service providers below. For general questions about services and your postdoctoral experience at Iowa, please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Scholars in the Graduate College (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Health & Dependent Care Spending Accounts
- Disability & Worker’s Compensation
- Social Security & Retirement
- Paid Leave & FMLA
- Retirement (available to FP01 postdocs with taxable income)
- University Counseling Service – Postdocs(FP01/FP02) are eligible for free individual counseling, couples counseling, group counseling, outreach programming, support groups, and consultation services.
- Transportation & Parking - Postdocs (FP01/FP02) are eligible for parking privileges in Hancher, Finkbine, and Hawkeye Commuter lots, as well as a discounted city bus pass. To purchase parking and/or bus passes, contact the Parking and Transportation office, located at 120 N. Madison Street, 319-335-3824. The UI Cambus provides free bus service to the UI campus.
- Income Tax Resources – The Tippie College of Business and International Student and Scholar Services provide income tax resources for postdocs (FP01/FP02).
- University Apartments – Postdocs (FP01/FP02) are eligible for the student rate.
- University Wellness and Recreation Membership – Postdocs (FP01/FP02) are eligible for discounted memberships. To purchase a membership, visit the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center. Questions about postdoc memberships should be directed to Betsy Recker (email@example.com).
- Family Services – Provides information and resources for childcare, new parent resources, elder caregiving, veteran/military families, and flexible work arrangements.
- Staff Language and Culture Services – Provides language instruction, cultural training, and communications support. International Student and Scholar Services offers programming and resources for international scholars. The University offers English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, as well as a variety of more informal English language learning opportunities such as Campus Conversation Partners and Communication Skills for Professionals.
- Course Audit - Postdocs at University of Iowa (FP01/FP02) are eligible to audit one University of Iowa course per semester without being assessed tuition and mandatory fees for that course. To qualify for this benefit, the postdoc's supervisor must verify that auditing the course will contribute to his or her professional development in their current position.
- Office of the Ombudsperson - A resource for any member of the university community with a problem or concern. They provide informal conflict resolution, mediation services, and advocacy for fair treatment and fair process.